Criteria for Nomination
To be placed on the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame Ballot, candidates must accomplish ALL of the following:
- Meet the criteria for Kansas Ties as outlined below.
- Meet the criteria for Waiting Period as outlined below.
- If being nominated for excellence at the college level, candidate must be an inductee in their own college or university hall of fame or have their jersey retired. (This may be waived if the candidate’s school does not have a hall of fame or jersey retirement program.)
- NOMINATIONS FOR THE CURRENT YEAR MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE KSHOF BY MARCH 1! Nominations received after the March 1 deadline will automatically be rolled over for the following year.
ATHLETES – MUST MEET ANY TWO OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Born in Kansas.
- Maintained residence in Kansas a minimum of two years prior to retirement.
- Graduated from a Kansas High School and competed a minimum of two years while attending.
- Competed for a Kansas juco, college and/or university a minimum of two years.
- Competed professionally while living in Kansas a minimum of five years.
COACHES – CANDIDATES MUST MEET ANY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Born in Kansas AND lived in Kansas a minimum of five years.
- Graduated from a Kansas high school or college AND attended a min. two years combined -H.S./College.
- Coached at a Kansas high school a minimum of 10 years as Head Coach.
- Coached at a Kansas college, university and/or juco a minimum of five years as Head Coach.
- Coached professionally while maintaining permanent residence in Kansas a minimum of five years.
1. Candidates are eligible five years after graduation from high school AND immediately after retiring or ending competitive participation.
2. Active coaches and athletes are NOT eligible for nomination.
3. Active KSHOF Board Members, Trustees and members of their immediate family (Parent, Grandparent, Spouse, Child, Grandchild, Sibling) are NOT eligible for nomination but may be inducted if nominated prior to beginning of service on the Board.
How to Nominate
To nominate a person for induction, the attached form should be filled out along with any copies of supporting documents and materials (copies of newspapers, scrapbooks, obituary, etc.) and returned to the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame.
About the Voting Process and Selection
Once nominated, your nominee will be placed on the ballot (if received by March 1, they will be on the current year's ballot; anything after March 1 rolls over to the next year's ballot). The ballot is put together and sent to the voting committee of over 300 voters, consisting of media members, living KSHOF inductees, and supporters of the KSHOF. Once returned, the ballots are tabulated and presented to the KSHOF Board of Trustees and Directors to determine that year's cut off point for induction. If selected, the nominee will be contacted directly to ensure they can attend that year's ceremony held on the first Sunday of October. Nominees must be present at the Induction Ceremony to be officially inducted. If they cannot attend the ceremony that year, they will automatically be rolled over to the next year's class. If not selected, there are two possible outcomes for your nominee, dependent on where they finished in the voting results. The first outcome would to be automatically renominated for the next year's ballot. This happens when your nominee finished in the top half of the voting for the current year but was not selected for induction. The second outcome is a one year probation period before the nominee can be renominated again. This happens when your nominee finished in the bottom half of the current year's voting results. The nominee will be placed on our Veterans List for the probation period and can be renominated after one year.