Field Trips to the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame
Field Trips to the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame at the Wichita Boathouse include:
- Short introduction to the history of Kansas sports from the Director of the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame
- Short video about the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame
- Time to tour the museum (optional scavenger hunt available)
- Education materials developed by a local teacher. These materials are standards aligned and focused for grades 3-6. Materials cover topics of:
- Champions of Character - This topic covers some of the inductees of the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame who overcame hardships early in life and how they dealt with those situations. The program includes a presentation with background information on several inductees and videos and pictures of the inductees in action.
- Healthy Choices – Life-long health begins in a person's formative years and this activity gives some helpful tips on eating right and staying active! (CCSS.Math.Content.4.NF.B.3a) (National Health Education Standard 3)
- Leadership – This activity gives each child an opportunity to examine the people who have made a positive impact in their life. Who would you ask to sit at your Board of Directors table? (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1) (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.4.1) (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.5.1)
- Logo Design – Design uniforms for your own team that will be put on display at the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame!
- Arkansas River History and Geography – Learn a little about our location and surroundings with this fun activity that is "flooded" with facts about the river! (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.6-8.4) (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.6-8.7)
- Both indoor and outdoor areas available for groups to eat a sack lunch
- COST: As always, the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame features FREE ADMISSION, but we do suggest a $1 donation per child to help cover educational material reproduction expense.